Genetically Engineered Food AD
Type of Activity:
- Authentic Assessment
- Group/Cooperative Learning
- Life Science
- Advanced Biology
- Grades 9 thru 12
- How has biotechnology been used to improve the quality of food available today?
This activity is part of a large unit on biotechnology that my general biology students study. Students first learn about various genetically engineered foods by lecture and library research. They are then placed in groups of two to produce their ad and presentation. Preparation time would involve the time it takes to research genetically engineered food to prepare a discussion. Students are given two 90 minute block periods to create their ads and presentation.
Students are placed in groups of 2 to create an advertisement for a genetically engineered food and are then asked to present their ad. The ads are created with small poster board or paper, markers, and construction paper. Students also use the computer for lettering and clip art. If enough computers and suitable software was available, the ads could be completely done on the computer.
GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOOD PROJECT
As an advertising agent, you have been hired by the SK Gene Team to develop a one page ad for a genetically engineered food they have developed. Your ad will appear in the grocery next to the food that it advertises.
Here are some things that you should include or keep in mind in developing the ad:
- Be creative
- Explain what your product is
- Mention the biotechnology used to create it
- Describe what precautions have been taken to make it safe
- Use your own works
- Stick to the key facts, do not misrepresent or misinform the buyer
- Do not overload the ad, keep it simple but informative
- The selling points of the product (you want to convince them to buy your product)
- The ads will be judged on the following: Organization, Information, Accuracy, Creativity, and Purpose
Part of your job as an advertising agent is to present your ad to a group of buyers for a local grocery chain. They must be convinced to buy the food for their stores and approve your ad. Keep in mind that the buyers are not scientists so you must explain the concept of genetically engineered food to them. Develop a presentation explaining genetically engineered food in your own words while introducing your product and the ad you have developed.
Here are some things that you should include or keep in mind:
- Give a brief introduction as to who you are, who you represent, and what your purpose is.
- Explain genetically engineered food and describe your product.
- Anticipate concerns of the buyers and try to include those in the presentation.
- Make your sales pitch, be sincere and convincing.
- Do not forget to thank the audience for their time.
GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOOD ADVERTISEMENT
|Criteria ||Novice ||Apprentice ||Proficient ||Distinguished|
| States Basic|
and is Accurate
|Purpose:||Not convincing||Might be|
Convincing ||Be excited to|
buy the product