Biology Research Assignment
- To become aware of and develop an appreciation for science in the world around us.
Relate a specific aspect of biology to its current impact on the world around us. Students must write a 3-5 page typewritten, double-spaced report.
Use 3-5 sources that are reference books, textbooks, or articles in periodicals. Do not use encyclopedias.
- Topic approval - Quiz grade
The topic must be defined (explained) in one clearly written paragraph.
- Rough draft - Lab grade
Two copies required
- Works Cited - Quiz grade
This page will be submitted with the rough draft. Have this page checked for form and accuracy of information before signing the paper.
- Peer Editing - Lab grade
- Final Paper - Special Project grade
Two copies required
- Summary of Final Paper
Students will be responsible for writing a one-page summary of another classmate's final paper.
- Presentation - Quiz grade
- Peer Evaluation - Quiz grade
Evaluation of Presentations
Some Suggested Topics:
- Energy systems
- Artificial intelligence
- Tropical rain forest
- Animal behavior
- Lasers in medicine
- Marine biology
- Content - 75%
- The paper includes the assigned subtopics.
- Each section is clearly explained.
- Any vocabulary not commonly known is defined within the test of the paper.
- The paper gives accurate information.
- The paper presents one specific aspect of science.
- The paper describes the current impact of that specific aspect on the world around us.
Structural Considerations - 25%
- The paper is written to be read as a complete text.
- The paper uses complete sentences.
- The paper uses correct grammatical structure.
- The paper uses correct spelling.
Grading Check Sheet:
- _____ The paper covers the assigned topic.
- _____ The student explains the material in his own words.
- _____ The paper is well organized, with
- _____ a well-developed introductory paragraph,
- _____ use of supporting details in the following paragraphs, and
- _____ a summary or concluding paragraph that demonstrates the writer's understanding of the paper.
- _____The student uses correct grammar and punctuation.
- _____The student correctly uses scientific terminology.
- _____The paper clearly explains information.
- _____The student demonstrates knowledge of the topic.
Presentation Critique Sheet:
Name of Presenter:
Title of Presentation:
(Circle the number that appropriately ranks the student's use of the following elements, using 5 as the highest. Do not rank an element that is not applicable.)
|Clarity of Language:||1 2 3 4 5|
|Public Speaking Ability:||1 2 3 4 5|
|Use of visual aids, support materials:||1 2 3 4 5|
|Explanation of Content:||1 2 3 4 5|
|Handling of Subject:||1 2 3 4 5|
|Relevance of Topic to Course:||1 2 3 4 5|