Type of Entry:
Type of Activity:
Each student chooses his favorite insect to share with the class. The project is based on a contract grade, so the student decides how much research is needed.
The insect projects are presented in class and displayed at the first PTA meeting.
- What question does this activity help students answer?
- What is my favorite insect?
- How can I show my classmates this insect?
- What unusual characteristics does my insect possess?
- Notes to the teacher:
- The first week of class is an excellent time for this project.
- Have projects on display for the first PTA meeting.
- Be very brief with the instructions so that the students will be more creative.
- Required of students:
- The student will display his insect in 1 to 4 ways.
- The student will share his project with the class and possibly a PTA group.
- Preparation Time:
- Two weeks
- Class time needed:
- One day to introduce the idea
- One week of class to cover insect characteristics
- Two class days for class presentations
- Materials needed:
- A wide range of books for researching the insect. (School library may be used.)
- Each student will supply materials needed for the displays�Example�Video camera, supplies for the mobile, jewelry,t-shirts, plaster of paris, construction paper, markers, etc.
- Tables for the projects at PTA meeting
Each student will introduce his favorite insect to the class using any way he chooses. The student's grade goes up each time a new way is used.
- Method of Assessment/Evaluation
Contract Grades will be used. The student will decide to contract for an A,B,C, or D. The student will sign the contract showing his intent for such grade:
A-Display insect 4 ways
B-Display insect 3 ways
C-Display insect 2 ways
D-Display insect 1 way
If the projects are poorly constructed and sloppily done, points are subtracted. Very neat and creative projects receive additional points.
- Extension/Reinforcement/Additional Ideas
- Following the class presentations, the students may want to research rare and unique insects.
- A comparison can be made of similar insects.
- The same grading system can be used for other projects throughout the year.