A Visit With Dr. Francis Crick
Access Excellence Classic Collection
- Francis Crick: Beyond the Double Helix. Carolina Biological Supply. 1-800-334-5551. This video shows the full interview with Dr. Crick, filmed on location at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, that is the basis for this Classic Collection chapter.
- "Winding Your Way Through DNA" a set of three educational videotapes and teacher's guides which describe genetics research, its implications and the lives of men and women engaged in it., available from Cold Spring Harbor Press, Fulfillment Dept., 10 Skyline Dr., Plainview, NY 11803-2500 or call Toll-Free: (800) 843-4388 Fax: (516) 349-1946.
Books and articles
- Watson, J.D., and Crick, F.H.C. 1953. "Molecular Structure of Nucleic Acids. A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid." Nature 171:737-738. This short paper is the original presentation of Watson and Crick's hypothesis regarding the double helical structure of the DNA molecule.
- Crick, F. H. C. Nucleic Acids / September, 1957 / page 188. Abstract: These polymers appear to carry the pattern of living matter from one generation to the next. Their basic chain consists of sugars joined by phosphates. Attached to the sugars, in turn, are bases. Subjects: chromosome, deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), genetic code, polymers, protein synthesis, ribonucleic acid (RNA).
- Crick, F. H. C. The Structure Of The Hereditary Material / October, 1954 / page 54 US, page Intl. Abstract: An account of the investigations which have led to the formulation of an understandable structure for DNA. The chemical reactions of this material within the nucleus govern the process of reproduction. Subjects: deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), double helix, genetic code, X-ray crystallography.
- Crick, F. H. C. 1988. What Mad Pursuit. A personal view of scientific discovery. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Series. Basic Books, Inc., Publishers. New York.
- Access Excellence Classic Collection
"The Structure of the DNA Molecule." Available on America Online (keyword: excellence) and on the World Wide Web.
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
( 1901 - ). This Web site contains a list of all winners from 1901, and includes a short description of the research which led to each prize.
- Image Library of Biological Macromolecules
This page links to graphics showing the DNA nucleotides (singly, in pairs, or in a DNA strand), torsional angle in nucleotides, and strand direction in nucleic acids.
- Primer on Molecular Genetics-Introduction
A short discussion of DNA structure by the Department of Energy. The text includes hot links to 4 separate graphics including "The Human Genome at Four Levels of Detail" and "DNA Structure."
- Discovering DNA Structure
This paper lab activity uses cut-outs of the components of a DNA molecule to create an accurate model.
Kits and Demonstrations:
Note: Following are three examples of the many DNA-oriented kits which are available from scientific supply companies. Please obtain complete descriptions and price lists from the vendor prior to purchase. Access Excellence does not endorse any individual product.
- DNA SIMULATION KIT, Carolina Biological Supply Company, 2700 York Road, Burlington, NC 27215, 1993. Cat.#:17-1030
kit subj: DNA
- NUCLEIC ACID STRUCTURE - DNA/RNA VIEWMASTER KIT, Frey Scientific, 905 Hickory Lane, Mansfield, OH 44901-8101, 1993.
kit subj: DNA
- DNA MOLECULAR MODEL KIT, Ward's Biology, PO Box 92912, Rochester, New York, 14692-9012.
Kit subj: DNA.