Lab 305: Part VI, Day 5
Post-Lab: Get Data and Evaluate Crime "Suspects"
Upon completion of this lab
- Before seeing your photograph -- which "suspect" do you think is guilty, and why?
NOW, examine your photograph! Study the patterns of DNA fragments on your gel. Glue the photo to your post-lab.
- Into how many pieces are the DNA samples cut?
- Are all the DNA pieces the same size?
- Does the DNA from any of the suspects match that of the crime scene? If so, who? How closely?
- What kind of pattern on a gel does uncut DNA make?
- What societal and ethical issues are raised by the application of DNA fingerprinting?
- Are there other uses of DNA fingerprinting that could be detrimental or discriminating to the average, honest citizen?
- Dispose of designated materials in the appropriate places.
- Leave equipment as you found it.
- Check that your work station is in order.
- Wash your hands.