Bacteria Wanted Poster Research Project
Students will research one bacterial pathogen and produce a "Wanted Poster."
Students select a pathogen from the list below or select one off the list. They will then produce a wanted poster with the given parameters.
|Bacillus anthracis || anthrax|
|Bordetella pertussis || whooping cough|
|Clostridium botulinum ||botulism|
|Clostridium perfringens||gas gangrene|
|Clostridium tetani ||tetanus|
|Escherichia coli || acute pyelonephritis |
|Francisella tularensis||tularemia or rabbit fever|
|Lactobacillus acidophilus || cavities|
|Mycobacterium leprae||leprosy (Hansen's disease)|
|Mycobacterium tuberculosis || tuberculosis|
|Neisseria gonorrhoeae || gonorrhoea|
|Neisseria meningitidis ||spinal menigitis|
|Rickettsia richettsii ||Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever |
|Rickettsia prowazekii || typhus|
|Salmonella typhi ||typhoid fever|
|Salmonella typhimurium||food poisoning|
|Shigella dysenteriae|| dysentery|
|Streptococcus mutans || cavities|
|Streptococcus (group A)|| scarlet fever|
|Streptococcus (group A)||rheumatic fever|
|Treponema pallidum || syphilis|
|Treponema pertenue || yaws|
|Vibrio cholerae || cholera|
|Yersinia pestis || plague|
Make a wanted poster for one of the Monerans listed above. Poster is to be on 8.5" x 11" paper.
- "photo" (electron micrograph or microscopic picture/diagram)
- description - include Gram stain
- organism's m.o. (police jargon) (How the organism attacks and spreads)
- most common victims to prey upon
- hide out of the culprit (where it is most likely to be found)
- most common injury done to victim
- Is it considered armed and dangerous? rate the degree of damage caused
- number of victims
- most effective weapons against the germ
- any other identifying characteristics (such as tattoos)
Students have one period in the library/media center to research their disease. Any additional time needed for research or production of the poster is to be done on their own.
Evaluation: Students are graded by the above criteria.