Animal Rights Committee
During the preparation periods you will be responsible for the
- Devise a system for maintaining order during the hearings. While the witnesses are testifying there will be no disorderly conduct. The chairpersons are responsible for issuing official warnings and charging participants with "contempt". Anyone charged with contempt will be removed from the hearings by the bailiff (me), given a zero for participation, and assigned some out of class work.
- Think of questions to ask each witness. Discuss what information you think the committee needs in order to make an informed decision about this issue. Write down at least 2 specific questions to be asked of each witness. The following groups and individuals will be asked to testify before the Committee on Animal Welfare.
- American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums
- Vegetarians for Ethical Farming Practices
- Animal Liberation Front
- American Medical Association
- Biozyme Pharmaceuticals
- National Cattleman's Association
- Belle Visage Cosmetics Corporation
- International Vegan Society
- Nature's Way Cosmetics Corporation
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
- Student Action Corps for Animals
- Veterinarian Technician
- Decide on the order in which witnesses will be called to
You will be graded based on the following criteria.
- 10 pts - Skill, seriousness in conducting the hearing
- 20 pts - Written recommendations. You will have time to prepare a written "Report of the Committe on Animal Welfare". This report should include recommendations about how the following issues should be addressed through laws and regulation.
- Use of animals for medical research
- Use of animals for product safety research
- Use and treatment of livestock animals
- Use of animals for food
- Use of animals for educational research and experimentation
- Use of animals as pets
- Use of animals in the entertainment and other industries