"Medicine Man" Viewing Guide
- In the opening scenes, name 2 ways that the rainforests are being destroyed.
- EXTRA CREDIT: How do each of these ways impact the CO2 cycle and the greenhouse effect?
- What reason was given for the request that Dr. Crane should wear a mask and that she be required to have a physical?
- Watch for natural cures Campbell uses: caffeine drugs, stuff for lips, headaches.
Describe the side effects of the yoco medicine. Do you think it would meet the Food and Drug Administration guidelines? Why or why not?
- What has Campbell found?
- What evidence does he have?
- What is "compound #37" and why is this compound so important?
- What is the source of "compound #37"?
- What conditions are sources of research concerning the bromeliads?
- What was the real reason that Dr. Campbell was so uncooperative about the intrusion of outsiders into the area?
- Why does Campbell have to stop the tractors from cutting down the trees?
- Describe the moral issue involved with curing the young boy with lymphoma? How would you have reacted: as Dr. Crane encouraged or as she acted? Explain your feelings on this point.
- Explain why it is so difficult to isolate an active chemical compound from a naturally occurring substance.
- How is this research impacted by the loss of the rainforests?
- How would you suggest that the problem be resolved?
- What is the canopy of the rainforest? Describe it as Campbell and Crane negotiate it on pulleys.