THYMUS DNA EXTRACTIONS
centrifuge tube with cap
graduated cylinders (10ml,100ml)
95% ice cold ethanol
15 ml test tubetest tube rack or beaker
- prep buffer solution:
- 57 g granulated sugar
- 1 buffered aspirin
- 3 g epsom salts
- add distilled water for a total of 500 ml
- 10% detergent solution:
- 90 ml distilled water
- 10 ml Palmolive detergent
- salt solution:
- 29.2 g non-iodized salt
- add distilled water for a total volume of 250 ml
- Cut out a chunk of liver or thymus 1 inch square and place in the blender.
- Add 100 -150 ml prep buffer and 10 ml detergent solution to the blender.
- Blend for 1 minute or until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a beaker.
- Transfer 1 ml of the mixture to a centrifuge tube.
- Add 2 ml of salt solution, cap, and shake for 2 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 7 minutes in a balanced centrifuge.
- Carefully remove the tube from the centrifuge and note the two layers:
lower layer - pellet
*upper layer - liquid (supernatant) and what has the DNA in it.
- Pipet or carefully pour the liquid into a clean test tube.
- Pour 5 ml ice cold ethanol carefully down the side of the tube to form a layer.
- Let the mixture sit undisturbed for a minute or two.
- The DNA will float in the alcohol. The DNA of the thymus will be long threads that easily spool.
"Generic, All Purpose DNA Extraction from Meat Protocol" Judy Brown
"Mammalian DNA Extraction" Theresa Knapp
Wheat Germ |
Lima Bean Bacteria |
Data Sheet and Questions |
Design Your Own DNA Extraction Protocol |
Teacher Information | References