Bertino.DNA extraction simplified '95
modified from L. Hays and A. Bertino, WWNFF, '93
The simplified plan for DNA extraction
- 100 ml of water between 50-60°C.
- Add 1.5 grams raw wheat germ & stir
- Add 5 ml of detergent
- Add 3 grams Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
- Adjust pH to 8 using baking soda
- Maintain temp (50-60° C) & stir for 10 min.
- Remove from heat, pour 6 ml into test tube
- Pour 6 ml of ice cold ethanol slowly down the inside edge of the test tube on top of the suspension
- Wait 5 minutes and observe
- Remove the DNA by spooling it.
- place DNA 'glob' on preweighed filter paper and allow to dry. Reweigh. Determine % yield of DNA
- To 1/2 cup hot water, add
- 1 level tsp. wheat germ & stir
- Add test tube of detergent
- Dump in a level tsp of Adolph's
- Forget the baking soda
- Stir for a couple more minutes
- Pour 3/4" or so in big test tube
- Pour t.t. of ethanol slowly down the inside edge of the big t.t. on top of the suspension
- Take a look! DNA strands will start to form immediately
- Spool the DNA on the wooden skewer provided
- Do it home......
A napkin has been provided to help clean up your mess. The zip-lock bag has been provided so that you might
either keep what you like as a reminder or disgard neatly into the trash.
For further information contact:
Anthony J. Bertino
1 Academy Circle
Canandaigua, NY 14424