I am conducting a research project on portfolios. While participation is
voluntary, the information you provide is of great importance in assessing
the role portfolios play in student assessment. Your opinions are of vital
importance and will be completely confidential. Please complete the
survey and return it at Parent/Teacher conferences or with your child.
Thank you very much for your time and cooperation.
Caroline B. Winchester
Current Average in Science (in %) =
Please respond carefully to the following questions by circling the appropriate response or
checking the appropriate box. There are no right or wrong answers. Only one response per question
Key to Responses (questions 1-8):
- 1-More often
- 2-No change
- 3-Less frequently
Since my student has been bringing home portfolios at the end of every quarter, I have noticed that my
- .....shares problems he/she is having with school assignments? 1 2 3
- .....shares successes in school? 1 2 3
- .....shares low grades? 1 2 3
- .....shares high grades? 1 2 3
- .....shares level of understanding? 1 2 3
- .....shares events that happened in class? 1 2 3
- .....shares test days or when projects are due? 1 2 3
- .....shares when he/she has homework? 1 2 3
Did the portfolios help you understand your student's progress in science?
- _____ A Lot
- _____ A Little Bit
- _____ No Difference
- _____ Not At All
Which part of the portfolio did you like the best?
- Journal Items
What other items would you like your student to share in the portfolio?
What changes would you like made in the portfolio?
How did you feel about the number of items in the portfolio?
- _____Too many
- _____Right Amount
- _____Not enough
Would you like to see portfolios again at the next teacher conference?
Analysis of 1996 Survey Data
- _____Yes, but with the following changes_______________________________
Survey Comments February 1996
Survey Comments October 1995