Science Safety Rules - Student
General Safety Rules
- No laboratory work shall be performed by a student without the
direct supervision of the teacher. Under no circumstances is
a student allowed to work in the laboratory alone.
- You will be instructed at the beginning of each laboratory
period, as to the potential dangers that may be encountered and
the proper precautions that are required to eliminate or reduce
- You will become familiar with the instructions of laboratory
procedure prior to the initiation of any related activity.
Read all directions for the experiment at least two times
. Ask questions if you don't understand any part of the
directions. No changes from the instructions will be allowed
without permission from the teacher or instructor.
- Never perform any activity that is not authorized or supervised
by the teacher or instructor.
- Do not operate equipment without operating instructions or
specific permission from the teacher or instructor (i.e. Bunsen
burner or centrifuge).
- No eating, drinking or applications of cosmetics is allowed in
- Always wash hands after handling chemicals, plants, animals, or
- Careless behavior in a laboratory can cause accidents.
Horseplay,teasing, loud talking or tossing objects are are not
allowed in a laboratory.
- All personal possessions such as books, coats, and papers, that
are not related to the laboratory procedure should not be
brought into the laboratory work area.
- Each laboratory student will be made aware of the use and
location of all safety equipment (i.e. goggles, gloves, apron,
fume hood, eyewash, etc.)
- Never reach over a Bunsen burner, chemical reagents or other
- At the completion of the laboratory period or when an
experiment is complete, return all equipment to proper storage
and clean the work area.