The Effect of Alcohol on Biological Membranes
11. You are now ready to calibrate the colorimeter. Prepare a
blank by filling a cuvette 3/4 full with tap water. To correctly
use a colorimeter cuvette, remember:
- All cuvettes should be wiped clean and dry on the outside
with a tissue.
- Handle cuvettes only by the top edge of the ribbed sides.
- All solutions should be free of bubbles.
- Always position the cuvette with its reference mark facing
toward the white reference mark at the right of the cuvette slot
on the colorimeter.
To calibrate the colorimeter:
- Choose Calibrate from the Collect menu.
- Click on the Calibrate Now button.
- Place the blank cuvette in the cuvette slot of the colorimeter
and close the lid.
- Turn the wavelength knob of the colorimeter to the 0%T position.
In this position, the light source is turned off, so no light
is received by the photocell. When the displayed voltage reading
stabilizes, click the Stable button and enter "0" in
the %T edit box.
- Turn the wavelength knob of the colorimeter to the Blue LED
position (470nm). In this position, the colorimeter is calibrated
to show 100% of the blue light being transmitted through the blank
cuvette. When the displayed voltage reading stabilizes, click
the Stable button and enter "100" in the %T edit box.
- Click on the OK button to finish.