The portfolio is, along with your presentation, the final for
this semester. It is the summative activity that marks the successful
completion of the work that you have done this semester. It is
imperative that you give it your best effort for the four entries
because it reflects you and shows what you have learned. This
is a rare opportunity for you to have such a long lead time to
use all your talents to show a gain in knowledge. You will use
editing teams that will help you refine and revise what you are
going to turn in. The portfolio that you will be turning in for
your final is worth approximately twenty percent of your grade
for the semester, so do not miss the deadline. The following
are suggestions for each activity
- collaboration - what is it? This is thinking together to
reach an understanding that can create opinions for you to
complete an investigation. It is not two people doing an experiment
and each writing it up.
- it is important that you make connections and applications
within this entry. Ask for help from me or another member of
our educational community if it is not clear. Be sure to document
- detailed research, with footnotes, is necessary to achieve
a high mark on this entry. Choose a topic that you are passionate
or curious about or and dive in! Use new references and the reference
guide that we have in class.
- in this entry, as well as in the others, it is imperative that
you explain the scientific concept that you are dealing with,
in great detail and in your own words. Many students receive
a low mark because they don't adequately detail all they know
rather expecting the reader to know that they know what they
- ideas to use that have been successful in the past:
- game show - written songs (you compose w/ lyrics)
- game boards videos
- poems w/ illustrations flip books
- copied graphics from textbooks or other sources are not acceptable.
- you must show and document the growth of your knowledge. The
process by which you acquired this knowledge will not effect
- evidence of revision should be a minimum of two pre-written
pieces, but more is better. Weight is not a factor, but quality
and depth of knowledge shown is.
- on the reflection sheet be sure to tell how the change in your
- start early - finish early. Last minute work is a disaster
and easily detected and receives a low mark.
- the reflection sheet for each entry will be my first impression
so it must be done completely and with care . .
- you need to explain, in detail, the science involved and answer
the questions completely.
- if you need more space than is on the sheet you can expand
the space, but be sure to include the question and number so
the reader can follow what you have done.
no late portfolios accepted
no excuse is valid